Monday, April 11, 2011

Making New Friends is Always Good.......Well, Sometimes!




One of the new habits I've recently picked up (after having Sasha!) is that I somehow find it ok to talk to random women with children in public places.  I've made a couple of friends at the park, another at Target, and some more at the mall.  My husband finds this hilarious, but I think it's nice that we mamas can bond over our little ones with perfect strangers :)  Anyway, the whole point of this story is that I met a mom this way who has a little girl Sasha's age....we talked a few times, and then she invited me to lunch with a mommy group who all have babies within a month of Sasha's age.  Since I really like her, of course, I said yes......but I was a little worried that I wouldn't fit it in since I'm not the typical stay-at-home mom in the area where I live.

The day of the lunch, I was getting dressed and considered my clothing options......I wanted to wear one of my flouncy tops with skinny jeans and heels, but then I reconsidered.  I decided to wear a cute t-shirt, with jeans, and some fashion sneakers......and thank G-D!  I showed up there, and I was by far the most dressed up as it was! Lunch was not as friendly as I had hoped....some of the moms said hi, while others didn't.  And literally no one asked me a single question about myself and only cared about Sasha's developmental milestones, and if their children are at the same levels.  It seemed like I had to prove Sasha's superiority in order to just keep up!  While it is definitely nice to have friends with babies, this is definitely not the kind of socializing I will be doing in the future.

The one thing that I did love about this lunch is that literally every one of the moms (including myself!) busted out their arsenal of accessories that we take in order to eat with our little ones.  I'm sure that it looked absolutely hilarious to any passerby, but all of these things are absolutely necessary (I swear!).  I will share my personal dining out essentials in tomorrow's post...so look out for it!
Enjoying the day at the park this weekend :)

4 comments:

  1. Just be friends with your friends and wait until they have babies. It will be more fun that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! And in the meantime I need to be careful about talking to strangers lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kate! Your blog, and your daughter, are super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete